[mythtv-users] DVD playback problems with ubuntu 9.10/myth 0.22-fixes

William william_munson at comcast.net
Tue Jan 12 01:06:34 UTC 2010

Matt Beadon wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Greg Estabrooks <greg at phaze.org
> <mailto:greg at phaze.org>> wrote:
>
>     > I've read that content protection on some discs can cause these
>     types of
>     > issues.  Has anyone got their myth system to play >90% of DVDs?
>      If so can
>     > you share the recipe or point me in the right direction?  Maybe
>     there are
>

>      What sort of errors are you encountering?  I've got maybe 2 or 3
>     discs that give me problems under myth and all of those are just
>     menu issues  on discs with layers of submenus (TV series and
>     such). Other than those couple I haven't had a Disc that wouldn't
>     play in years.
>

> As others mentioned most of my errors are with the DVD menus.  All the
> DVDs I watch are from Netflix and they might differ from the retail
> versions (the labels do at least).  They generally start with a black
> screen, FBI warning, or studio logos and then crash back to the
> frontend leaving tons of:
> Jan 10 19:55:02 XXXXXX kernel: [197010.865867] end_request: I/O error,
> dev sr0, sector 8138376
> Messages in my logs.
>
> Then there are a few even weirder ones such as Transformers: revenge
> of the fallen.  It started playing straight into the movie (no menus)
> but was playing at 1.5x speed (guesstimate) with the audio being
> similarly distorted.  Then as an added twist every 5min it would jump
> to a random chapter in the movie.
>
> Another weird one was Doctor Who: Season 4: Disc 2 which played with
> no audio.  I watched many other discs in this series without issue but
> this one wouldn't play audio even after I fiddled with the audio track
> selections.  This is a new problem I haven't seen before so it might
> be a result of a recent update in JYA repo (I updated friday).
>
> From the general tone of responses it seems like there is no "fix",
> only a series of work arounds (handbrake, anydvd, etc).  None of those
> are foolproof or allow a user to simply pop in a DVD and watch it.
> This is really disappointing.
>
> Has anyone tried running windows in a VM and playing back DVDs?  Would
> that work?

Why not simply shell out to one of the better players out there. There
is easy support for xine, mplayer, vlc and probably more. The myth
player is pretty well trashed in 0.22 and so far its not much better in
trunk (0.23) so use the custom  command line to launch another player on
your trouble disks or on all disks. I almost wish there was a way to
toggle players from the remote at times. Its not ideal but the devs have
been focusing on the core functions right now so this has suffered a
bit. Its on my xmas wish list.