[mythtv-users] VMWare on the backend. Viable solution?

greg pryzby greg at pryzby.org
Tue Jan 12 01:48:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 6:50 PM, Christian Szpilfogel <
chrisznews4 at rogers.com> wrote:

> Martin Ravell wrote:
>

>> I’m just about to put in a new box for my home server and am thinking
>> about changing my Myth setup as well. I’d appreciate your comments if you
>> have done anything similar:

>> What do you think? Is VMWare with MythBackend on a (probably Fedora or
>> CentOS) virtual machine a viable option? I may add some more front-ends as
>> well but at this stage it will be one of each.
>>
>>  I've run my myth MBE on VMWare for a couple of years with no issue. When
> I had analogue tuners (PVR-500), I left them on the host side and installed
> the basics for a slave backend on the host which then registered with the
> master. This worked very reliably. I was running CentOS so the backend RPMs
> where easy to grab from atrpms.
>
> I now use HD-PVRs which pass through to MBE on VMWare 2 via USB and this
> works a treat. However I channel change via ieee1394 so I use ssh to execute
> the command on the host for channel changes as VMWare doesn't support
> ieee1394 pass through.

IRTransmit on HD-PVR works and no need for ieee1394 and ssh anymore ;)

<SNIP>

--
greg pryzby                              greg at pryzby dot org
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gpryzby

WEB:  http://www.RestonArtisTree.com/
TWTR: gpryzby
Ted Turner <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/ted_turner.html>  -
"Sports is like a war without the killing."