[mythtv-users] Remotux Released!

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 02:35:04 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 8:16 AM, Chase Douglas
<chasedouglas.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm pleased to announce that Remotux is now up on the App Store and
> can be used to control Linux and OS X (10.6) computers! Simply install
> Remotux on any iPhone or iPod Touch and then install the Remote Input
> server by following the instructions at:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RemoteInput/rinputd

Great! Very easy to get up and running. It has so much *POTENTIAL*. I
would add some additional info about what it can do, link to available
clients, and what it could possibly do in the future just so that
anyone who lands on this page from somewhere other than this email
thread will be able to connect the dots :)

> Also, the protocol for the Remote Input server is open (as is the
> software, of course) so I encourage anyone wishing to build a client
> for Android or Maemo (or anything else) to do so! Protocol information
> can be found at:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RemoteInput/RemoteInputProtocol

So, The iPhone client works great, but I have some suggestions and ideas :

Multiple input modes using full screen - change modes by doing swipe
all the way across screen from edge to edge
- mouse-only input mode - use right 90% of screen as touchpad, have
two buttons on left side that act like mouse buttons 1 and 2 (and 3 if
chorded)
- Full keyboard mode - use space up to top where current mode select
is. Make escape in top left. Put arrow key grouping in top right in a
"diamond-like" arrangement of up above left,down,right
- Mouse + arrow keys/enter/escape - make left 60% of screen act like
mouse, right 40% devoted to large arrow key diamond with an "enter"
button in the center, and an "escape" button above and to the left of
the arrows. This would be a good "hulu mode"
- MythTV remote mode - provide mythtv keybindings, but keep it simple.
Prominent up/down/left/right, enter/escape, volume up and down,
pause/play, menu and info.
- Trackpoint-like mode (see boxee iphone app) - distance from center
for pointing device determines rate of pointer change - just an idea
- tilt sensor mode. Map joystick axes to tilt sensors. Put joystick
buttons onscreen

Thanks again.

-Ross