[mythtv-users] Access denied for user `mythtv`@`mymachine` (using password: YES)

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Jan 12 08:21:42 UTC 2010

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
>For several years I had the frontend/backend on the same machine and
>had set:
>    mythtv-setup: [General]
>		Local Backend IP address: 127.0.0.1
>		Master Backend IP address: 127.0.0.1
>    mythfrontend: [Utilities/Setup][Setup][General]
>   		Host name: localhost
>		Database name: mythconverg
>		User: mythtv
>		Password: mypasswd
>
>Now I added a 2nd frontend so I changed to:
>    mythtv-setup: [General]
>		Local Backend IP address: <IP address of mymachine>
>		Master Backend IP address: <IP address of mymachine>
>    mythfrontend: [Utilities/Setup][Setup][General]
>   		Host name: mymachine
>		Database name: mythconverg
>		User: mythtv
>		Password: mypasswd

>- Do I need to create a new mysql user: 'mythtv'@'mymachine'?
>- Or is this a general mysql config issue to accept connections from
>   non-localhost?
>- Or is there something else that needs to be opened on my firewall?
>- Or is there other mythtv configuration that I need to change?

You need to add privileges to connect from each IP address you have a
frontend at, or you can use % as a wildcard. At the moment, user
'mythtv' probably only has privileges from localhost. If you use
something like phpmyadmin, you'll be able to do this easily by
editing the user, changing 'localhost' to '%' and selecting the save
a new record option.

Harder to explain than to do - you'll see the user mythtv at localhost
will have privileges on database mythconverg, you need the same
privileges for mythtv@%

--
Simon Hobson

WANTED: "Software CD ROM Kit" for Canon CLBP 360-PS printer (Canon
part no RH6-3612, or possibly RH6-3810, or RH6-3610 might do). I've a
dead HD and need this CD so I can replace the disk and re-install the
printer OS on it. If anyone knows where I might get hold of one I'd
be grateful - requests to Canon drew a blank, it's been out of
support for years.