[mythtv-users] Weird Video Playback Issue - Worked prior

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 14:55:03 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 9:02 PM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Today, after mucking with some audio settings from a post to the list
> earlier, I noticed a video I was having audio issues with before
> (unless I changed the alsa options prior to playing), plays at half
> speed now.  I put all of the settings back the way they were, and
> after about 30 minutes of messing with it, I tried it from a different
> myth box (frontend - my laptop)..
>
> It does the exact same thing now from my laptop..  No config changes
> here for sure.  The only commonality between these two machines is a
> libc upgrade from ubnutu last night..  I do not see how that could
> affect it, but hell - it is the only thing I can think of.
>
> If I play the video outside of Myth though, it plays perfect on both
> machines..  It is a AVC 4.1 encoded video with AC3 6 channel audio..
>  I was going to start looking at vdpau, but since the other frontend
> is ATI, and using the radeon driver, I did not start down that road..
>
> Ideas anyone?

Not to answer my own post, but in fact I missed that it updated
libasound2 as well.  That is what broke my playback.  It only happened
on a video that the card was downsampling 5.1 to stereo..  Caused it
to play half speed for some reason..

In case anyone else runs into this..  Dunno if it matters, but it is a
nvidia ion chip, using hdmi out for audio...  It affected other
computers as well though (but I am not 100% sure how it streams to
frontends), so it may have been this hardware entirely, or bad
libasound alltogether..

-Greg