[mythtv-users] altibox lyse

Marius Schrecker marius at schrecker.org
Tue Jan 12 15:31:42 UTC 2010

 On Tue Jan 12 15:30 , Andreas Pagander <andreas at isegran.no> wrote:
>I have TV from altibox(lyse) in norway. I think this is some kind of
>IP tv. I have a fiber cable in to the house. The cablebox I got from
>altibox is a Motorola VIP 1910-9. Does anyone know how I can use this
>whit  MythTV, and what hardware i need?
>
>--
>Mvh
>Andreas Pagander

>Maritime Center Fredrikstad AS www.isegran.no
>(Tlf: + 47 69 33 20 03 Fax: + 47 69 33 20 04 Mobil: + 47 900 56 929)

Hi Andreas,

 I also have TV from Lyse/Altibox.

Yes, it is possible to use it with MythTV.

I'll say a bit about the capture part of the hardware, as others on the list are far better qualified to comment on the rest of your setup.

The capture hardware depends very much on what kind of quality you want (do you have any HD channels, and do you want to capture in HD quality, etc? I tried earlier capturing to "an ordinary" mpeg2 capture card (Hauppauge PVR150/500 pci) over composite and the results were so bas as to be unwatchable. Lyse lock down which outputs you can use together, so you're stuck with Composite if you also use HDMI or Component. What I now have is a Hauppauge HD-PVR usb component capture device. These are not yet quite stable, although I'm not sure if it's a MythTV issue or more to do with the firmware/driver or the hardware itself, but the actual picture and sound quality is fantastic. You'll find a page on the MythTV Wiki telling you what you can do with them. I got mine in England.

The main problems I now have are:
1. Channel changing which is:

a complicated to set up using a blaster
b.a bit iffy based on the XML_TV data for the norwegian channels

I work around it by my Lyse channel changes over the internet and duplicating the recording schedule in MythTV (I want to write a script to do this, but will probably never get around to it.

2.Occasional lockups of the HD-PVR device.
Getting it initialized can be a bit unpredictable, it seems like it often needs to be power toggled at least once after the linux module is loaded in order to be responsive.

3. Transcoding of the H264 stream that the HD-PVR spits out is not yet good enough for lossless, frame-perfect ad. removal. So I have ended up just marking the ads with skip lists. Hopefully one day there will be a way of properly transcoding and moving recordings over to the Videos collection.

I think that just about covers it. I'm very pleased with the results, and using a harmony remote it's easy enough for the family to use it.

Let me know if you want any more Lyse-specific help (skriv gjerne på norsk om du ikke skriver til listen).

 Cheers!

Marius