[mythtv-users] Text Mode mythtv-setup?

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 18:29:52 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:

> Eric Sharkey wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:
>>> In all my years of using Myth, I've always assumed mythtv-setup needed to be
>>> run graphically. A bit inconvenient when running a headless server but that's
>>> what I use VNC for.
>>
>> ssh -X also works quite well for this.  Add in -C if not on a lan.
>>

> Thanks Robert for the confirmation. The docs page was a bit ambiguous.
>
> Unfortunately, Eric, I almost always ssh from a Windows box. Over the years
> I've looked at some Windows X servers but they always seem to be a hassle to
> install. Running vncserver on the server and vncviewer on the Windows box is
> just easier and more consistent.

The hope is to ultimately offer a web-based setup where one would
bring up the backend, connect to it with a web browser, and perform
all setup functionality there.  Unfortunately we haven't yet had any
takers on this (very worthwhile) project, but if someone were
interested in a huge service to the Myth community, this would be a
fantastic and challenging project.

Robert