[mythtv-users] output audio to hdmi and spdif at the same time

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 18:44:20 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Allen Edwards
<allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Kevin Johnson <dabears_rule at yahoo.com>wrote:
>
>> Okay, I am getting places.
>>
>> Here is my current .asoundrc
>>
>> pcm.!default {
>> type plug
>> slave {
>> pcm "both"
>> }
>> }
>>
>> pcm.both {
>> type route
>> slave {
>> pcm multi
>> channels 4
>> }
>> ttable.0.0 1.0
>> ttable.1.1 1.0
>> ttable.0.2 1.0
>> ttable.1.3 1.0
>> }
>>
>> pcm.multi {
>> type multi
>> slaves.a {
>> pcm "tv"
>> channels 2
>> }
>> slaves.b {
>> pcm "receiver"
>> channels 2
>> }
>> bindings.0.slave a
>> bindings.0.channel 0
>> bindings.1.slave a
>> bindings.1.channel 1
>> bindings.2.slave b
>> bindings.2.channel 0
>> bindings.3.slave b
>> bindings.3.channel 1
>> }
>>
>> pcm.tv {
>> type hw
>> card 0
>> device 3
>> channels 2
>> }
>>
>> pcm.receiver {
>> type hw
>> card 0
>> device 1
>> channels 2
>> }
>>
>> I have mythtv setup to use alsadefault and stereo.  Doing this results in
>> stereo sound output to both hdmi and spdif at the same time.
>> If I set up mythtv to output 5.1, I get distortion to the tv (hdmi) but
>> the spdif (stereo) is correct.
>> I think the hdmi is distorting because it is trying to play digital sound
>> but cant decode it.
>> I would like to have 5.1 digital sound go to the spdif, and stereo analoug
>> go to hdmi.
>> Anyone know of a way to make alsa or mythtv do this.
>> Oh so close!

>> Don't set myth up to 5.1, set it up for stereo.  If you have passthrough
> setup correctly, the data will still be 5.1 if that is what is started out
> as.  the 5.1 setting is just there to confuse you ;-)
>
> Allen

I just noticed you are decoding and re-encoding the bit streams, not doing a
passthrough. I don't much like doing that as it destroys the sound quality.
 I also don't much like that old howto that you referenced, didn't have much
luck with it, which is why I wrote the one I wrote.  However, I don't have
HDMI so am not much help.

Allen