[mythtv-users] Text Mode mythtv-setup?

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 20:04:10 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Andre Newman
<mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:

> On 12 Jan 2010, at 18:29, Robert McNamara wrote:
>>
>> The hope is to ultimately offer a web-based setup where one would
>> bring up the backend, connect to it with a web browser, and perform
>> all setup functionality there.
>
> That would be extremely welcome, although a .conf file or curses setup with the real real basics (network, database) and the rest done from the frontend would be equally wonderful, isn't all the configuration being re-thought, re-designed right now?
>
> I know, feature without a patch, forget I said anything :-)

A web-based setup would allow one (theoretically) to wrap the web
transations in a command line setup if one were motivated.  a
configuration file will never happen, Myth's configuration information
lives in the database and there is no compelling reason for that to
change.

It's not all the configuration that's being rethought/redesigned,
we're mostly focusing on superfluous, obvious, and painfully
implemented settings right now.  One thing at a time, as they say.

>>  Unfortunately we haven't yet had any
>> takers on this (very worthwhile) project, but if someone were
>> interested in a huge service to the Myth community, this would be a
>> fantastic and challenging project.
>
> I wish I knew where to start :-(
>
> never mind how to proceed :-(

Ah well.