[mythtv-users] Autologin lost on upgrade to ubuntu 9.10

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 20:34:52 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 11:42 AM, sdavmor <sdavmor at systemstheory.net> wrote:

>>> If you are running mythbuntu on your Ubuntu system, you can just
>>> go to the mythbuntu control centre. There you can disable/enable
>>> the autologin. There is a way to manually do it as well but you
>>> can google that as easily as any of us.
>>
>> I googled it for the OP (I believe it's basically renaming the
>> custom config file in /etc/gdm to custom.conf, and ensuring your
>> username is in it.

I believe some gnome behaviors changed between 9.04 and 9.10 that have
more subtle impact on the autologin functionality.

In 9.04, I had autologin enabled, and whenever my myth box hung, I'd
hit ctrl-alt-backspace to restart the xserver. Autologin would run a
timer and then automatically start mythfrontend at end of time if I
did nothing. This was a simple "panic button" fix for myhtv with a
high WAF.

With 9.10, initial boot autologin and start of mythfrontend works as
desired, HOWEVER... ctrl-alt-backspace is disabled by default. After
re-enabling it, I found that gdm doesn't auto-re-login, and when I
manually login, it doesn't auto-re-start mythfrontend.

Anyone know how to change this back to the 9.04 behavior?

Also, here's how to re-enable ctrl-alt-backspace -
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-enabledisable-ctrlaltbackspace-in-ubuntu-9-10-karmic.html
-- IMHO, this may be a useful default for mythbuntu.

-Ross