[mythtv-users] Text Mode mythtv-setup?

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Tue Jan 12 21:01:47 UTC 2010

On 12 Jan 2010, at 20:04, Robert McNamara wrote:

> A web-based setup would allow one (theoretically) to wrap the web
> transations in a command line setup if one were motivated.

Interesting approach, lots of potential.

> configuration file will never happen,

There's already .mythtv/config.xml that's contains pretty much everything I was referring to.

> Myth's configuration information
> lives in the database and there is no compelling reason for that to
> change.

Fair enough, apart from my irrational, pathological hatred of databases but that's just me ;-)

> It's not all the configuration that's being rethought/redesigned,
> we're mostly focusing on superfluous, obvious, and painfully
> implemented settings right now.

I saw that, looks sensible.

>> I wish I knew where to start :-(
>>
>> never mind how to proceed :-(
>
> Ah well.

Electronics, no problem, broadcast TV engineering, no problem, system admin, no problem, systems design and troubleshooting, no problem, programming, er well no not really.
I've contributed to a few OSS projects but mostly systems stuff, adding drivers, the odd bug fix in build scripts and managing others adding more serious code.

I'm gradually getting my head around transport streams but most of the things I work on are temporary satellite and fibre feeds and they are very simple configurations compared to what Myth sees, the worst one was 8 SD channels with 14 audio's and encryption, so that knowledge probably isn't much use to the project.

Andre