[mythtv-users] UPDATED: Bash/MySQL script for copying and/or deleting mythfrontend profiles

Matt Beadon matt.beadon at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 21:44:02 UTC 2010

>  I still have great difficulty understanding why anyone should be *cloning*
> the front-end settings at all, unless your new front-end is *identical*
> hardware-wise to the old one, and only differs by the name.

That is a dream of mine but first things first.  :)

> What's wrong with just installing mythfrontend and running it? It drops you
> directly into the setup screens, you fill in the details (which you have to
> do anyway somewhere when cloning) and then Bob's your uncle.
>
> Why carry across a lot of cruft that will probably be wrong for your new
> hardware?

Mostly because I don't remember all the little settings that I've changed to
make it behave the way I like it.  How far does commercial skip wind back,
what time interval did I set for skip fwd, etc, etc.
Having all the UI settings match the existing FE that I've tweaked for the
last 10months is a big win for WAF.

Having not done it yet though I guess I don't know whether tracking down
(and fixing) all the hw specific stuff is more or less work than copying
over all the UI related stuff manually.

I suppose I'm betting that hw related stuff will be limited to display size,
display acceleration and sound options.  Those things will be fairly obvious
if they are set wrong.  Perhaps I'm overlooking a large set of config
options?

Matt