[mythtv-users] UPDATED: Bash/MySQL script for copying and/or deleting mythfrontend profiles

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Jan 12 21:57:38 UTC 2010

Matt Beadon wrote:

>> What's wrong with just installing mythfrontend and running it? It drops you
>> directly into the setup screens, you fill in the details (which you have to
>> do anyway somewhere when cloning) and then Bob's your uncle.
>>
>> Why carry across a lot of cruft that will probably be wrong for your new
>> hardware?
>>

> Mostly because I don't remember all the little settings that I've changed to
> make it behave the way I like it.  How far does commercial skip wind back,
> what time interval did I set for skip fwd, etc, etc.
> Having all the UI settings match the existing FE that I've tweaked for the
> last 10months is a big win for WAF.

That's more to the point. But settings like that are probably
installation-specific, not front-end specific. After all, if you watch TV in one
room, are you really going to expect a button-push to do something else when you
watch TV in a different room?

I suspect that there's a case to be made for abstracting some of these settings
out of the front end and making them system-wide. (Only, not to be adjusted by
having to take the whole system down and running mythtv-setup!)

--

Mike Perkins