[mythtv-users] OT: 3D TV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jan 12 22:56:59 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 12 January 2010 03:23:46 pm Andrew Close wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 12 January 2010 11:54:27 am David Brodbeck wrote:
> >> I think it was also, at least at first, an attempt to give people
> >> something in the theater they couldn't get at home.  It's similar to
> >> how wide-screen formats became popular in the 1950s, to counter the
> >> rising appeal of television. It only took 50 years for TV to catch
> >> up. ;)
> >
> > "I'm waiting for 3D TV"
> >
> > Ralph Kramden, ca. 1953
> >
> > (an excuse for not buying a TV set)
> >
> > For those of you too young to remember that scene, it was from "The
> > Honeymooners" (Jackie Gleason), in the days of the Dumont network, though
> > I think that episode was after they moved to CBS.
>
> i thought tv was a myth in the 1950's.  ;)

No, many people, including me, think that TV was better back then than it is
today.

It was "entertainment", not junk, and the industry was still in the hands of
the people who created it, and not the bean counters who control it today.

The Honeymooners actually started out as a 12 minute skit on Dumont's
"Cavalcade of Stars", it later became a half-hour show.