[mythtv-users] UPDATED: Bash/MySQL script for copying and/or deleting mythfrontend profiles

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Wed Jan 13 00:50:46 UTC 2010

> Mike "Knows the database and data pretty well--well enough to know that
> messing with direct DB editing of settings is a bad idea" Dean

Then I'm guessing you know more about your ability (or lack thereof)
with working with databases then the database itself. I don't mean
that as an insult, but it's the only way to explain your attitude.
I've been running myth systems for about 5 years now. I mess with the
database on a regular basis and have never messed up anything using
that approach. You sound just like all the people saying you should
never mess with your windows registry. The truth is, you shouldn't
mess with either of them if you don't really know what you are doing
or don't understand the data is stored and used. But if you know what
you are doing, there is very little danger if you are careful about it
and don't just go messing with things randomly. I understand you not
wanting inexperienced people toying with things and screwing it up,
but you always say it like "I know that stuff, and even I won't mess
with it because there's some nasty, black magic voodoo in there."

--
Ron