[mythtv-users] OT: 3D TV

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Wed Jan 13 01:07:28 UTC 2010

On Jan 12, 2010, at 4:08 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>> No, many people, including me, think that TV was better back then
>> than it is
>> today.
>>
>> It was "entertainment", not junk, and the industry was still in the
>> hands of
>> the people who created it, and not the bean counters who control it
>> today.
>>
>> The Honeymooners actually started out as a 12 minute skit on Dumont's
>> "Cavalcade of Stars", it later became a half-hour show.
>
> Hmm.  What could be funnier than threats of domestic violence?
>
> I guess you had to be there...

I gotta say, if you adjust for cultural windage, there's a lot of
really funny stuff in The Honeymooners.  Yeah, some of it makes modern
audiences cringe, but there's a lot more there than wife-beating humor.

I also think people dismiss modern TV a bit too easily. Yeah, there's
a lot of reality show crap and "World's ___iest ____."  But there's
also some really sharply written comedy, like "30 Rock."