[mythtv-users] Support for WMM extensions/ QoS

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 17:12:56 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 January 2010 09:56:26 am Greg Oliver wrote:
>> I could not find anything in the wiki or google.
>>
>> When Myth is streaming to a frontend, is it actually streaming in a
>> video stream format so wireless routers can prioritize the traffic?  I
>> am thinking of throwing a minipci card in these frontends, but unless
>> the router will honor the WMM extension on the streams, I'll just drop
>> some cable for them.
>
> It's always best to stay away from wireless for video if you possibly can.
>
> If you can run cables you should do so.
>
> Good routers allow you to set up QoS yourself, based on many things, like the
> source, the physical port, the IP port and several other factors, but no
> matter how much priority your router gives to video traffic, WiFi generally
> simply does not have the bandwidth available, no matter what algorithm it uses
> to allocate it. QoS can not create bandwidth where it doesn't exist.

I would usually agree 100%, but I have had great luch with Linux and
the intel 5300 nics.  I get over 200Mbits throughout the house, with
actual throughput averaging 125Mb.  Of course network activity
dictates actual speed, but all of this is on it's own network.  I
stream to directv dvrs all the time currently, and my routers do the
right thing with qos and my laptop.

It is just that I am going to have to drop cable down an outside wall,
and that is never fun.  I would much rather drop a $50 card in this
thing and be done..

Thanks,

Greg