[mythtv-users] Text Mode mythtv-setup?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Jan 13 17:48:23 UTC 2010

Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Patrick Kirchner
> <patrickkirchner at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> After enablin X forwarding in Puty, Be sure to launch mythfrontend using the QT painter if you are using xming, otherwise it probably won't work so well.
>>
>> /usr/local/bin/mythfrontend -O ThemePainter=qt
>
> I don't think there's much call to run mythfrontend this way.  Since X
> forwarding doesn't forward audio, it would have very limited
> usefulness.

Actually, it is possible, if all you want to do is to use the front-end setup
menus. The one circumstance you may need to do this is for fixing up the
mythfilldatabase settings, which unaccountably occur in the front-end setup
rather than the back-end.

You can't watch programs via X forwarding because the front-end (which is
running at the far end of the link) is going to get entirely the wrong idea
about the video architecture which is running at your end of the link, but menus
seem to work fine. It's possible that some of the plugins will work, but I
haven't found the need to test any. It's just easier to use a different uPnP client.

--

Mike Perkins