[mythtv-users] Wiring/Cabling behind walls (was: Support for WMM extensions/ QoS)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jan 13 18:28:52 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 13 January 2010 11:12:35 am Ben Kamen wrote:
> I did read an article once that home owners should be careful about code in
>  their area and to look at their home insurance policy carefully as even
>  some low-voltage cabling might be considered a sticking point should
>  something ever happen to the home (fire).
>
> Insurance company might not pay out if the wiring is not to code. And some
>  LV wiring is not.
>
> Just a thought to toss in here.

Good point, and in some jurisdictions (NYC) it's better to just pay a
professional than take the risk. At least you  have somebody to sue if your
insurance company balks at paying.

A common error is to not use plenum-rated cable when it is mandated, sometimes
for no apparent reason. The strangest places seem to get classified as "airflow
areas".

In parts of NJ you can't use red-colored wire, unless it is part of a fire
alarm system.

Running LV stuff too close to AC power wiring is another common error.

Then there is the question of do you need a building permit.