[mythtv-users] Some programs are not correctly recorded

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jan 13 19:14:59 UTC 2010

On 01/13/2010 12:53 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
>
>> How does one tell mythtv that "actually, no, it *didn't* record that
>> program, after the event?
>>

> I've never really noticed a problem with doing delete and allow
> re-record from within mythfrontend.

Exactly.  And, if you had deleted the recording and forgot to do a "and
allow re-record," you can go to Manage Recordings|Previously Recorded
and find the episode and hit SELECT (I think), then "Allow this episode
to re-record" (which marks the episode to be ignored for the purpose of
duplicate checking), or "Remove this episode from the list" (which
removes all history of MythTV's even trying to record the episode).

>   I haven't tried it from mythweb.

The "and allow re-record" should work from both mythfronted and
MythWeb.  The only issue is that MythWeb may not allow you to actually
delete the recording metadata if the file is missing.  I know
mythfrontend will allow this (with one extra "are you sure" popup).

> Then again, since most of the time this happens, it's a program for
> someone else in my household, I'm not sure I'd notice if e.g. that
> particular episode of Dora the Explorer ever gets re-recorded.
>
> The thing about this is that it's really tedious.  This past weekend I
> must have cleared out about 600 recordings that weren't really there.

Wow.  Sounds like someone needs to do some antenna work (assuming OTA)
or drop his cable service (assuming cable).

On the bright side, I'm planning (and hoping to finish before 0.23) some
work to automatically add "found" recordings to the database and allow
the user to identify and handle (even as a group) orphaned metadata (for
missing files) through the frontend.  In theory, this should allow the
backends to find all the recordings with missing files, give you a list,
and you'd be able to delete and allow re-record all of them with just a
few button presses total.

Mike