[mythtv-users] Moving mythbackend, how to copy important tables?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jan 13 19:26:20 UTC 2010

On 01/13/2010 12:25 PM, Stuart Larson wrote:
>> I am moving my mythbackend over to new hardware, in part because my
>> old backend had some unexplained flakiness.   So, I don't want to copy
>> the entire DB over and potentially bring the flakiness along.   But, I
>> would like to keep a few things, such as the record of the programs I
>> have previously recorded/viewed so that they are not recorded again.
>> Maybe my recording schedule too, but that would not be too hard to
>> re-create.
>>
>> Anyone have guidance on which tables to copy in this scenario, or any
>> gotchas to watch out for?    Or, am I better off not trying to do
>> partial copies?
>>
> This might be a good starting point:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore
>
> Also, search the list archives as this has come up in the past.

And, really, you don't want to, "copy important tables."  You want to
backup all tables and restore all tables.  There's no benefit to doing a
partial restore.  The only way that a partial restore will improve
performance on your system is if you have changed settings to incorrect
values (i.e. messing with Playback Profiles or whatever), and there are
much easier ways of fixing those issues than "reconfigure everything
from scratch" (which, interestingly, would still allow you to
misconfigure things, again).

As Roy mentioned, keeping the same hostname for all backends makes
things a /lot/ easier.

Mike