[mythtv-users] VDPAU on GT210/GT220

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Jan 13 21:05:38 UTC 2010

Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 1/12/2010 11:55 AM, Derek & Cindi Cass wrote:
>>
>> Discussions lately  around these 2 GPUs and deinterlacing have lead me
>> to believe that the GT220 is superior to the GT210 in that it will
>> support the Advanced 2x deinterlacer.  However, all of NVidia’s
>> documentation seems to indicate that these 2 chipsets support the same
>> VDPAU feature set, namely feature set “C” (see links below).
>> Wikipedia says the same thing regarding VDPAU and Pure Video HD, and
>> if it’s on Wikipedia it must be true, right? ;-)
>>

> As has been indicated several hundred times before on the mailing list,
> the IRC channel, and elsewhere on the internet, the decoders run in
> dedicated hardware, while the deinterlacers run on the shaders.  They
> all have the same decode feature set, but the low end cards just don't
> have the performance for the most intensive deinterlace filters.

At CES in Las Vegas I picked up a brochure at the Zotac booth which
listed complete specs for all of the Zotac (read NVidia) line of
chipsets. It is the second page of a PDF file named
CGC-9-PAS-3F-X-ZT.PDF (catchy title, that!), at

http://www.zotac.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=9&Itemid=100032&lang=un

The 9500GT series which is about the bottom of what we consider the
'vdpau capable' list.

 From that chart:

  Model		Mem interface	Mem Bandwidth	 Shaders

9500GT		128-bit		12.8GB/s	32
9800GT Eco	256-BIT		57.6GB/s	112
210 Synergy	64-bit		12.8GB/s	16           !!!
GT220 Synergy	128-bit		12.8GB/s	48
GT220 Zone	128-bit		12.8Gb/s	48
GT200		128-bit		25.3GB/s	48	(Double the memory clock of the other 220
versions)
GT240		128-bit		25.3GB/s	96
GTS250		256-bit		70.4GB/s	128
GTX295		86-bit		225.8GB/s	480	WOW!

So not all the steps 'upward' are actually 'onward'. A 9800GT Eco may
well be the sweet spot, because the next roughly equal version is the
GT240 or better. Of course if price (and cooling!) are no object then
the GTX295 is the way to go!

Geoff