[mythtv-users] UPDATED: Bash/MySQL script for copying and/or deleting mythfrontend profiles

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky mythtv at kosowsky.org
Wed Jan 13 23:16:32 UTC 2010

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote at about 01:39:53 -0500 on Wednesday, January 13, 201
 > Here is an updated version adding your #1:
 >
 > # !/bin/bash
 > #mythfrontendprofiledup
 > # Version 0.2, January 2010
 > #Jeff Kosowsky (with MUCH help from Ronald Frazier)
 > #Script to automatically copy and/or delete mythfrontend profiles.
 > #
 > # Note the program operates on the following tables:
 > # settings, keybindings, jumppoints, displayprofiles, displayprofilegroups
 >
 > # ############################################################################

Just to add some fuel to the fire...

I just realized another *good* use for this program.

Suppose you want to play with some frontend settings but don't want to
have to remember them all and undo them later. Also, you are only
playing with one of the frontends so you don't want to backup and
restore the entire database which could interfere with other database
changes (either from the scheduler or from other frontends).

Well you can use my program to *temporarily* save the frontend settings to a
dummy hostname and then restore later.

For example:
	- Save settings to dummy profile "tempfrontend"
			mythfrontendprofiledup myfrontend tempfrontend
	- Play around with settings or make temporary changes
	- Restore old frontend settings
		  	mythfrontendprofiledup  tempfrontend myfrontend
	- Delete saved copy
		  	mythfrontendprofiledup  -d tempfrontend

Now internally, the restore won't be perfect since the profilegroupids
and profileid's will be increased but that shouldn't affect the user.