[mythtv-users] UPDATED: Bash/MySQL script for copying and/or deleting mythfrontend profiles

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jan 13 23:34:15 UTC 2010

On 01/13/2010 06:16 PM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote at about 01:39:53 -0500 on Wednesday, January 13, 201
>  > Here is an updated version adding your #1:
>  > --------------------------------------------------------------------
>  >
>  > # !/bin/bash
>  > #mythfrontendprofiledup
>  > # Version 0.2, January 2010
>  > #Jeff Kosowsky (with MUCH help from Ronald Frazier)
>  > #Script to automatically copy and/or delete mythfrontend profiles.
>  > #
>  > # Note the program operates on the following tables:
>  > # settings, keybindings, jumppoints, displayprofiles, displayprofilegroups
>  >
>  > # ############################################################################
>
> Just to add some fuel to the fire...
>
> I just realized another *good* use for this program.
>
> Suppose you want to play with some frontend settings but don't want to
> have to remember them all and undo them later. Also, you are only
> playing with one of the frontends so you don't want to backup and
> restore the entire database which could interfere with other database
> changes (either from the scheduler or from other frontends).
>
> Well you can use my program to *temporarily* save the frontend settings to a
> dummy hostname and then restore later.
>
> For example:
> 	- Save settings to dummy profile "tempfrontend"
> 			mythfrontendprofiledup myfrontend tempfrontend
> 	- Play around with settings or make temporary changes
> 	- Restore old frontend settings
> 		  	mythfrontendprofiledup  tempfrontend myfrontend
> 	- Delete saved copy
> 		  	mythfrontendprofiledup  -d tempfrontend
>
> Now internally, the restore won't be perfect since the profilegroupids
> and profileid's will be increased but that shouldn't affect the user.

All of that's fine.  I have no problems with the functionality.

My /ONLY/ complaint is that it's a bash hack that's a 3rd-party (not
part of MythTV, therefore, not maintained when MythTV is changed) script.

As I mentioned at the start of the script, I would prefer to see you
spend all of this time you're--pardon the bluntness, but--wasting on
this script on the /actual/ solution that will go into MythTV:

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6064

and, when it goes in, it will completely obsolete this script.

Mike