[mythtv-users] Old Cameras, was: "Generational" TV, was: OT: 3D TV

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Wed Jan 13 23:53:38 UTC 2010

On Wed, January 13, 2010 3:04 pm, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 January 2010 03:08:18 pm David Brodbeck wrote:
>> When I was doing public access
>> TV in the '90s we had a couple of JVC 3-tube cameras.  (Nothing that
>> great
>> -- ENG stuff, really.)  I remember having to focus them on a grid
>> pattern
>> and press a button to get the color registration lined up.  Actually,
>> they
>> were old and cruddy enough that it was usually necessary to tap the side
>> of the camera a few times before they would line up properly.
>
> Those were almost certainly JVC KY-2000 cameras, some of the first with
> auto-
> registration. They came out in the early 80s, so were well-used by the
> time
> you had them.

Googled it and, yup, that sure looks familiar.  That bright orange case is
pretty memorable.

All of our equipment was well-used.  The franchise agreement with the city
said the cable company had to fund a public access station; it didn't say
they had to fund it *well*. ;)  I heard a couple years ago that they had
finally forced the public access coordinator (the only full-time paid
position) into retirement and consolidated the whole thing with a station
in another town 15 miles away, to save money.