[mythtv-users] myth on separate subnet

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Thu Jan 14 03:13:42 UTC 2010

On 1/13/2010 9:10 PM, Harrison T. wrote:
> This is just my two cents here, but in a switched network, subnetting
> will not help with actual traffic.  You are still pushing the same
> amount of data through the same ports.  You might be thinking of using
> VLANs (Virtual LANs), but that is overkill and you probably won't notice
> any difference.
>
> If it were me, I would leave everything on the same subnet just to keep
> things separate.  If you need more addresses or something, just change
> your subnetting to allow more addresses.

In a switched Layer2 environment, that would be correct.

MythTV on Port1 streaming to host on port 2 would be isolated from a host on port 3 talking to a firewall to the internet on port4.

Adding a managed or unmanaged switch adds collision domains which now isolates traffic between ports.

This removed the need to subnet at the IP level (layer 3).

  -Ben

--
Ben Kamen - O.D.T., S.P.
Email: bkamen AT benjammin DOT net              Web: http://www.benjammin.net

Fortune says:
Once, there was NO fun ... This was before MENU planning, FASHION
statements or NAUTILUS equipment ... Then, in 1985 ... FUN was
completely encoded in this tiny MICROCHIP ... It contain 14,768 vaguely
amusing SIT-COM pilots!!  We had to wait FOUR BILLION years but we
finally got JERRY LEWIS, MTV and a large selection of creme-filled
snack cakes!