[mythtv-users] Recommendations for VDPAU board suitable for 1080i (Advanced 2x)

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 03:47:52 UTC 2010

> I posted on the VDPAU wiki page, an image of a table provided by Zotac of
> specifications for the video cards it makes using NVidia chipsets, basically
> from the 9500GT up. There is effectively a 'dip' in the capabilities. At the
> moment a 9800GT series board would be the sweet spot of capabilities versus
> price as it beats the GT210, GT220 and possibly even the GT240 on memory
> bandwidth and shaders, the bits which the interlacing methods interact with.

I don't think that should be on the wiki. It isn't helpful and seems
out of place. A simple link to the relevant Wikipedia articles would
suffice. This isn't 3D gaming where more is always better. The other
charts give the information that is needed for determining which chip
to get. You only need to know what deinterlacer it can handle. The
9800 is not the sweet spot. That is a heavy duty 3D gaming card, that
will suck down a lot of power and have a big fan. It will pull down
150-250 watts all by itself. That is more power than most entire
mythtv systems pull down.For MythTV you want the minimum that will get
the job done. That is why 9500/9600 or GT220 are the ideal. They do
everything you need. Anything more is wasting power, money, etc.