[mythtv-users] myth on separate subnet

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Thu Jan 14 10:56:52 UTC 2010

On 14 Jan 2010, at 02:04, Mark wrote:

> Question for the more advanced gurus out there:
>
> I am putting finishing touches on a new high performance myth backend only server.
> It's a supermicro board with two gigabit nics.  I have been thinking of putting the second nic
> on a separate subnet to isolate the myth traffic and keep the rest of the network unclogged. I have a cisco managed switch, so subnets are not a problem.  My dhcp resolution is through
> an ipcop box.  Is there anyone out there with thoughts on if this is a good idea or not?

With any half reasonable switch there's no measurable benefit in segregating, the switch will do that for you anyway just by switching. If you mess up the cisco configuration performance will get a lot worse and sorry to say that if you knew how to get good performance out of Cisco you wouldn't be posting this question!

Keep it simple, very doubtful that anything you have will be able to flood a gbit nic, you could team the ports but unless you have at least a 6 disk raid 10 with 10k SAS drives and 100+ client workstations I wouldn't bother.

I used to have a dual subnet system (for different reasons) and it was always a pain, not just with MythTV either. As soon as possible I flattened the network and things are much easier now, with dual subnet almost every service is more complicated.

Andre