[mythtv-users] Way! OT Epson wless printer as NAS

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jan 14 15:03:51 UTC 2010

On Thursday 14 January 2010 07:52:46 am Francesco Peeters wrote:
> Matt Emmott wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 9:00 AM,  <bhaskins at chartermi.net> wrote:
> >> I recently bought a Epson NX515 wireless printer for my wife and found
> >> that it has a very nice side feature. A inserted memory card is
> >> available to the net, allowing the card to be used as a small NAS unit.
> >> The printer consumes six watts ( or less ) in standby.
> >> There are no security concerns at all in my application of interest.
> >> This would be just fantastic for me if I could just get it ( the NAS
> >> part ) working in Linux. I can get the banner page under Linux and print
> >> to it using the driver from another Epson Linux driver but this is the
> >> only Linux support that I can find so far.
> >> Yep, so far I can only make the NAS work under XP and I only use the
> >> BSOS for games and such. Can anyone hit/stomp/kick me in a direction to
> >> find some ideas to help make this work? Thanks
> >>
> >> FWIW This unit is on sale for about half of it "normal" price for three
> >> more days
> >
> > How does your XP box connect to the storage on the printer? Do you
> > install some kind of utility or is it SMB (i.e., Do you map a drive to
> > it in Windows?)
>
> FWIW: I have an Epson P700W and that one just uses SMB for the sharing
> part, AFAICT...

That makes sense, it's unlikely they would come up with something totally new,
instead of using off-the-shelf technology.

You would not necessarily be limited to a "small" NAS, CF cards are available
up to 60 terabytes (if you are willing to mortgage your house to buy it, I saw
one 60TB card for $13,000).

If the card is available to the network in the 6 watt standby mode it would
save a lot of power, though the NSLU2s draw even less power, and can use HDDs
as well as cards. An NSLU2 with a USB printer would give you similar
capabilities.

I'd be interested in knowing the access speed for sharing the card, it might
be too slow for video, especially HD.