[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun(s)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jan 14 18:13:20 UTC 2010

On Thursday 14 January 2010 11:02:41 am David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Thu, January 14, 2010 7:14 am, Greg Oliver wrote:
> > I am just wondering how the same cable connected to a TV produced
> > different results when connected to the hdhomerun..  I can only assume
> > the TV has pretty good gain or something???
>
> Yeah, it's possible the TV's tuner is more sensitive.

I think it's unlikely the TV's tuner is significantly more sensitive, to the
point of getting usable signals from a level that the HDHR couldn't see at
all.

I still wonder if some of the off-air signals are UHF and some are VHF, and if
that might be making a difference.

The first question is how many signals *should* be seen, based on what
transmitters are in range.

Are all the "extra" channels the TV sees usable? Are they "real" (not leakage
from a CATV system for example, or somebody's DISH receiver UHF outputs cross
connected to an antenna)?

Make sure the correct frequency tables and modulation type (QAM or ATSC) are
selected for the HDHR.

Certainly some TV sets are more sensitive than the HDHR tuners, but not
hugely. Usually it's just a matter of quality, not a there and not there
situation.

Also check that the HDHR is using the latest firmware.