[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun(s)

Jim Morton Jim at Morton.hrcoxmail.com
Thu Jan 14 18:34:15 UTC 2010

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Thursday 14 January 2010 11:02:41 am David Brodbeck wrote:
>
>> On Thu, January 14, 2010 7:14 am, Greg Oliver wrote:
>>
>>> I am just wondering how the same cable connected to a TV produced
>>> different results when connected to the hdhomerun..  I can only assume
>>> the TV has pretty good gain or something???
>>>
>> Yeah, it's possible the TV's tuner is more sensitive.
>>

> I think it's unlikely the TV's tuner is significantly more sensitive, to the
> point of getting usable signals from a level that the HDHR couldn't see at
> all.

I have a Samsung TV and the tuner in it is definitely better at picking
up weak signals than the HDHR. I've swapped cables to prove this. I
can't quantify how much better but it is noticeable. (Don't get me
wrong, I still like my HDHR.)
> I still wonder if some of the off-air signals are UHF and some are VHF, and if
> that might be making a difference.

Here in southeastern Virginia we have both UHF and VHF OTA signals.