[mythtv-users] Moving mythbackend, how to copy important tables?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jan 14 23:15:48 UTC 2010

On 01/14/2010 02:25 PM, TJ Harris wrote:
> Thanks for the responses.   I guess the recommendations seem to be "do
> a complete DB copy or don't do it at all".
>
> Unfortunately, one of my main reasons for moving the backend was to
> fix some strange behavior of my current backend (mythbackend unable to
> locate recording records in the DB) so I don't want to carry whatever
> problem is on my old backend to the new one.  So, doing a complete DB
> migration is not an option for me.  Also, the system the old backend
> was on is not going away,  so using the same IP and hostname is not
> feasible either.
>
> The majority of the DB data is easily reproduced by configuration on
> the new backend.   The main piece I wanted to transfer was the record
> of previously recorded programs, so that mythtv is not recording a
> bunch of stuff I've already seen.    I've got a backup of my pristine
> database,  so maybe I'll try copying and see how it goes.   Or, maybe
> I'll just manually delete the duplicate recordings.

You can do a partial restore as at:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore .

However, a partial restore is a flame-thrower that users use to light a
placebo (thinking they're cleaning up their system when they feel they
have performance or configuration issues).  However, if you
misconfigured your system once, why wouldn't you misconfigure it a
second time?

Anyway, whether you fix the configuration you currently have or
reconfigure from scratch, you're going to have to figure out what's
misconfigured and fix it.

I recommend against the partial restore because it's extremely easy to
break things if you don't know what you're doing.  I can say this for
sure because I've helped way too many people in IRC fix the messes they
made when they tried to do a partial restore and did it wrong.  Of
course, that was them, so it probably doesn't apply to anyone else...

But, choose whichever approach you like--it's your data and your time.

Mike