[mythtv-users] Can't log in!

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Jan 15 02:18:10 UTC 2010

On 01/14/2010 01:47 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:57 AM, David Watkins<watkinshome at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Just to check, do you have /home /var and /tmp in separate partitions
>> or are any of these locations within the / partition?
>>
>> I learn't the hard way and now create separate partitions to avoid
>> unexpectedly running out of space on the root partition.
>
> That's funny, because I try to have as few partitions as possible for
> precisely the same reason.  Whenever I've set up separate partitions,
> I've regretted the size choices later.
>
> The fact that non-root users aren't permitted to fill a filesystem is
> usually enough to prevent /home from trampling /.
>
> Eric

Unfortunately, the system writes to /tmp and mysqld runs with root
privileges as does mythbackend. So /tmp and /var can fill up. If they
are on separate partitions, recovery as is simple as ssh-ing in and
deleting some unwanted files....So long as your database wasn't crunched
by being at /var/lib/mysql (fedora standard) when /var reached full!
So the safest setup is to move the /var/lib/mysql folder to
/home/wherever. and symlink that folder to /var/lib/mysql. The OS then
deals with where mysql actually is, while mysqld thinks it is still in var.
There are still other ways to kill your system but this decreases the
available methods of causing real damage.

Geoff