[mythtv-users] Can't log in!

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Jan 15 02:49:29 UTC 2010

On 01/14/2010 06:47 PM, Jonno wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Matt Emmott<memmott at gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> I'll check tonight. I know for sure /var is a separate partion. I
>>> think there are about 5 partitions other than /
>
> Ok so here is my partition table. sdb is a 320GB drive
> sda is a 1TB drive which is connected in a rather unusual way. It sits
> in an external enclosure with its own power supply but is actually
> connected to the motherboard via a SATA to eSATA cable.
>
> jonno at jonno-mythbuntu:~$ df -Th
> Filesystem    Type    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sdb1     ext3     12G  8.7G  1.8G  84% /
> udev         tmpfs    989M  352K  989M   1% /dev
> none         tmpfs    989M  4.0K  989M   1% /dev/shm
> none         tmpfs    989M  340K  989M   1% /var/run
> none         tmpfs    989M     0  989M   0% /var/lock
> none         tmpfs    989M     0  989M   0% /lib/init/rw
> /dev/sdb6      xfs    286G  199G   87G  70% /var/lib
> /dev/sda1      xfs    932G  844G   88G  91% /var/lib/mythtv
>
> Seems to be working ok now. I ran the repair, check and optimize
> functions available in Mythweb.
> So how do I figure out where problems might arise in the future and
> what should I do about it?

You are booting from sdb1? Looks like the BIOS might be set up wrong.
I've never seen a motherboard which made the eSATA port the sda port.
You might what to check the manual for your board just to confirm what
is going on. Obviously you do not want to change now.

It is odd that you have no sdb2, sdb3, sdb5 partitions...They must
exist, but are not mounted. They must total at least 16-20G.

/var/lib is weirdly large. What DO you have in there? My entire /var
partition takes only 1.6G. Something odd, if not wrong, there.

Not that it really matters but making the big drive something like
/video instead of /var/lib/mythtv would be 'cleaner'.

As to what to do...Read my prior post about partitions. But changing to
a different setup would not be easy given your present scheme unless you
can resize the 'missing' partitions and move folders to those partitions.

I would personally not want to play with your setup without making some
backups. One thing: 320G is waaayy excessive for an OS drive. I'd grab
something a lot smaller. I picked up a 40G hd for $35 the other day.

My mythbox' nominal 60G OS drive is needlessly large. I'm actually using
only about 8G. If SSD's weren't still so expensive, I'd seriously
consider putting in a 16G SSD for my OS drive. Changing to a smaller OS
drive would allow you to add the 320G drive as a video drive under
Storage Groups. With 91% full, it looks like you need the space! Or more
time to watch what you have recorded...

Geoff