[mythtv-users] Cheap HD media players

Mark Wormgoor mark at wormgoor.com
Fri Jan 15 10:07:55 UTC 2010

Hi,

> > I'm using the WD TV Live with no problems. Haven't figured out a good way
> >  to skip commercials, but it's great for the kids and their shows on PBS.
> >

> Are you guys using these things as UPnP renderers, or connecting in some other
> way? (Samba share?)?
>
> Unless you can run a full frontend I don't see any way to get commercial skip.

The Xtreamer that I use (and probably other media players out there)
have Myth's capability to skip forward 3 mins / 30 seconds, or skip
backward 1 min / 10 secs. This doesn't automatically skip commercials
(which I never had enabled on Myth either as it sometimes got it wrong
and just skipped over some of the recording), but it means you can
skip a commercial block in a couple of secs, which is good enough for
me. My previous player (Buffalo Linktheater) only had fast-forward,
which made skipping commercials a nightmare.

One way to automatically skip commercials on these devices is to have
myth do commercial detection and then transcoding to cut it from the
recordings, but you risk loosing parts of your recording.

Kind regards,

Mark