[mythtv-users] My Dad keeps missing Emmerdale & Coronation Street? (Could not connect to server "" @ port -1)

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Jan 15 17:12:16 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 11:26:41AM -0500, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 7:55 AM, Mike Dent <mcdent at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Recently he has been noticing that some programs have been listed as
> > recorded but when he goes to watch them it says something like
> > "unable to find the recording".
> > This problem has been intermittent.
>
> All I can say is that it's not just you or something specific to your
> set up.  It's been discussed on this list many times and there hasn't
> been any conclusion.
>
> It seems that sometimes mythTV just fails to get a recording when
> there's some problem with the tuner (for various types of tuner) and
> it just doesn't notice.  It thinks it got the recording, but there's
> nothing on disk when you go to play it.  It happens in .21 and still
> happens in .22.

...this seems like something that there should be more done about. I
suspect that even the devs have occasions where something doesn't go
quite right with the tuner and something is missed. If a recording is
botched, it would be very cool if it was detected automatically (by say
catching the fact that the file is 0 bytes or doesn't exist) and sorting
the recorded tables out automatically rather than this being a manual
process.