[mythtv-users] What does tvformat actually do? Why is ATSC missing?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jan 15 18:12:01 UTC 2010

On 01/15/2010 03:30 AM, Joel wrote:
> What does the tvformat option in the channels table actually do?  I
> used to use it to distinguish between those channels which were analog
> (NTSC) and digital (ATSC), but now the channel editor doesn't appear
> to have an option for ATSC, and the general settings don't have ATSC
> as a default option either.  Though strangely the channel scanner
> appears to still set it to ATSC for digital channels.  But if you
> change it to something else, you need to edit the database manually to
> get it back to ATSC.

s/edit the database manually/delete and re-create the video source
(including rescanning)/

Can't answer the why.  Daniel K. may know more.  It was changed
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/15776 such that we can't
accidentally forget a valid format in the settings (leading me to
believe that ATSC is no longer a valid choice for a user to specify).

Also potentially of interest:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/178221#178221
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/300585#300585

Mike