[mythtv-users] Can I run .22 and .21 backends?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jan 15 18:16:09 UTC 2010

On 01/14/2010 10:53 PM, Kevin Bailey wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 09:08:08PM -0500, Aaron Klein wrote:
>
>> I have my master backend running mythbuntu 8.04 and itruns rock solid.
>>  I have a second backend that is somewhat tempermental about the PVR
>> 1600 that is in it and I was going to install 9.10 of mythbuntu.  Now
>> that I have it installed it wants to update my db schema from 1214 to
>> 1244 and I am concerned if its possible to run both a .21 and a .22
>> backend.  I dont want to update my master unless I have to because the
>> grahics card is not supported in the newer releases of ubuntu.
>>
>> I have done some searching around but havent really seen where anyone
>> has stated if you can or cant mix the two versions.  Im worried .21
>> wont understand the new db schema.
>>
> 0.21 won't understand the 0.22 schema but if it had its *own* database,
> it shouldn't be a problem.

Where "its own database" means, "if you run 2 completely separate MythTV
systems that have no knowledge of each other and no way to share data or
recordings or ..."

> How to play stuff from two different version back-ends ? UPnP.

How to schedule stuff so that it only records on one backend?  Spend 30%
of your life in the EPG's and recording rules of the 2 completely
separate MythTV systems--the same way your cable company expects you to
do when you buy 2 DVR's.

But Kevin is right--it will work.  IMHO, though, it's not worth
it--especially since there's no technical reason not to upgrade to 0.22
(and new graphics cards are cheap).

Mike