[mythtv-users] Back to back recording issues, and musical sound cards.

Jim Beckett beckett.jim at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 19:14:25 UTC 2010

Jim Beckett wrote:
> Issue Three: Musical Chairs for sound card drivers?
>
> Often after a reboot, I will attempt to watch live
> tv/recordings/videos/*whatever* and I will have no sound.
>
> I find that I can temporarily fix this by going into the frontend and
> switching the audio device from ALSA:default to /dev/dsp2, and then
> sound works.
>
> After random reboots, I will not have sound until I go back into the
> General settings in the front-end, and switch it back to ALSA:default.
>
> I suspect that this has to do with the order the sound modules load.
> It looks like the alsa modules for the A180 capture cards are loading
> before the on board sound...
>
> So, my question about this is how do I tell this Ubuntu 9.10
> installation to load the snd_via82xx module first? /*no kidding
> kernel, just do it*/
>

> output of: less /proc/asound/modules when /dev/dsp2 is the audio
> device selected that actually plays back sound.
>
> 0 saa7134_alsa
> 1 saa7134_alsa
> 2 snd_via82xx
>
> I'm not sure, but I suspect that when sound is working under
> ALSA:default that the output would look like this:
>
> 0 snd_via82xx
> 1 saa7134_alsa
> 2 saa7134_alsa

Update: I added saa7134_alsa to my /etc/modules.d/blacklist file
(already contained saa7134) and now the modules seem to load in the
right order.

cat /proc/asound/modules

produces:

 0 snd_via82xx
 1 saa7134_alsa
 2 saa7134_alsa

..and this seems to eliminate the random driver order, and hopefully
fixes the sound issue permanently.