[mythtv-users] VIA EPIA/CLE266 no longer supported? [was: Openchrome XvMC at >80% CPU after upgrade]

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Jan 15 21:05:33 UTC 2010

Mache Creeger wrote:
> At 07:09 AM 1/15/2010, you wrote:
>>> Last October I tried and failed to get my VIA M10K operating as a SD
>>> Myth client under Fedora 11. I have since upgraded it to Fedora 12
>>> and have successful got it working with XvMC fully functional. The
>>> key issue has been a very finicky xorg.conf which I have listed below.
>>

>> **************************
>>> (EE) CHROME(0): [XvMC] ViaXvMCCreateSurface: Too many surfaces !
>> **************************
>> There was (and it appears, still is) a problem with the openchrome
>> driver trying to create too many surfaces thereby over-writing the
>> allocated memory space.
>> The answer if you are compiling mythtv from fixes or trunk is to
>> reduce the number of surfaces.
>>
>> Look for the following line and change:
>>
>> mythtv/libs/libmythtv/util-xvmc.h:56: max_num_xvmc_surfaces(16),
>> to:
>> mythtv/libs/libmythtv/util-xvmc.h:56: max_num_xvmc_surfaces(14),
>>
>> Another problem with the openchrome driver as it was 2 years ago (when
>> I stopped using a Via motherboard) was that the size of an XvMC frame
>> was limited to a PAL screen. I believe that this limit has since been
>> eradicated.
>>
>> Also good news, is that the Intel driver version 2.9.1 now available
>> in Fedora 12 and Ubuntu 9.10, now does XvMC again, not having done so
>> since version 2.5, and does so with full size frames.
>> Geoff
>>

> I just use the ATRPMS rpms. If it would not be too much of a problem,
> could you post a bug for it to be changed. Hopefully Axel will pick it
> up and it will stream to me in an rpm at some point.
>
>  -- Mache

This is not directly a mythtv bug. This is a problem with the openchrome
driver which (for whatever reason) does not allow the creation of the
usual 16 surfaces. The intel and nvidia drivers (and I presume the
radeon driver) can create 16  surfaces for XvMC. The openchrome driver
cannot. It is probably something to do with the size of the buffer or
memory allocation which each surface requires. I looked at the code, and
I got a headache.

The only 'fix' that Axel could do would be to permanently reduce the
available number of surfaces to 14 which I am sure he will not do.

You can download the mythtv source rpm from atrpms, revise it, and
rebuild it into an rpm, by following the instructions on the 'Building
RPMS from Source' wiki page at:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Building_RPMS_from_Source

In this case it would not be too hard as you need only edit one line and
you should have the required bits and pieces.

Geoff