[mythtv-users] VMWare on the backend. Viable solution?

Martin Ravell martin.ravell at rave-tech.com.au
Fri Jan 15 21:42:55 UTC 2010

>> You can assign multiple cores but then the guest has to schedule those
cores
>> even if you are not fully utilizing them. In other words if your guest
only
>> needs one core for its task it will still have to wait for all configured
>> cores to be available and then tie them up for its quantum. That's my
>> understanding of how VMWare works. So if I was continuously crunching, I
>> might assign two cores instead of one but it may be more efficient to run
>> separate guest to do transcoding and let it run flat out away from the
MBE.
>> I'll have to run some tests to see which works better in my situation. My
>> kids keep my recorders really busy as they record and then cherry pick
what
>> they want to watch.
>
>Ahh that makes sense. I didn't realize that is how it works. I would
>be interested to know which arranges works best for you. Thanks for
>the explanation.

A nice gentleman rang me from VMWare last night and after a little back and
forth so that he could understand the question (sheesh) and some
consultation with some colleagues he confirmed that VMWare Server does
indeed support VT-d and PCI Passthrough.

Now we just have to confirm which motherboards work!

Regards
Marty