[mythtv-users] Diskless frontend - NFS options?

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 23:31:46 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Gareth Glaccum
<gareth.glaccum at btopenworld.com> wrote:
> Add a -hard to it? This would hang the system, whilst it continuously tries
> to reconnect.
> I have moved away from NFS on my frontends (I also run a full Gnome session,
> lots of small files, so you may not have this problem), I am using iscsi
> which seems a lot faster, not amazingly resilient, it can handle a quick
> reboot of the server.

/proc/mounts shows that it is already using the "hard" option.  The
notable difference between the NFS root file system and any other NFS
file system is that the root file system is using the udp protocol
whereas the others are using tcp.  I don't know if udp has anything to
do with the problem, but I can't check since I haven't found any way
to get the root mounted with tcp.  Any idea whether that could be
related to the problem?

(To recap, it used to be the case that the NFS server could go down
for a long time and the 3 diskless ION frontends would do no worse
than hang until the NFS server was back up, after which the frontends
would be just fine.  But something has changed and now the frontends
have to be hard-rebooted if the NFS server goes down.)

Jim