[mythtv-users] Back to back recording issues, and musical sound cards.

Jim Beckett beckett.jim at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 01:34:17 UTC 2010

Jim Beckett wrote:
>> Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> I think the setting you're thinking of is:
>>>
>>> Avoid back to back recordings from different channels
>>> If set, the scheduler will avoid assigning shows from different channels
>>> to the same card if their end time and start time match. This will be
>>> allowed when necessary in order to resolve conflicts.
>>>
>>> There's no setting to tell Myth to ignore the start early and end late
>>> specified in a recording rule--as that's something the rule tells the
>>> scheduler is mandatory.  The only thing you can do when that causes a
>>> conflict is to create a recording override.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>

>> Allen, Michael,
>>
>> Thanks for the clarification there. I don't think that I have "Avoid
>> back to back recordings from different channels" set (I can't seem to
>> locate it). Just to clarify, the back-to-back recording instances
>> that failed were both for the same channel, and I did not have any
>> program start/end time overrides set for either show.
>>
>> I can't seem to reproduce the issue at the moment, I think that I'll
>> just have to wait, and see if it fails again.
>>
>> If I do run into this issue again, what settings for the various logs
>> would be most useful?
>>
>> I was thinking mythbackend --setverbose
>> general,record,channel,schedule,xmltv  might be good. Would there be
>> a better way to diagnose the problem if it does come up again?
>>
>> Thanks for your insight.
>>

> I found Allen's post in January 2009, here:
>
> If I understand correctly, the issue is that there is some sort of
> command coming over the television transmission telling mythtv to
> extend the recording time on a show, or start another show earlier,
> that is overriding the program information set by the schedules direct
> grabber, and causing the conflict?
>
> If that's correct, (I didn't know that was possible...) I would want
> to have my tuners set to record more than one stream per multiplex,
> and this issue should go away, right? I've been attempting to find out
> if my A180 cards are capable of this, and haven't found anything that
> I would consider an authoritative answer about it. I know that when I
> previously had the setting at 2, my system showed 4 capture card
> inputs, and I didn't think that sounded right, so I pulled it back to
> 1 recording each.
>
> If I am misunderstanding the situation, then how does one tell MythTV
> to just honor the recording times set by the EPG from schedules
> direct, and end the recording at the specified time, and start the
> next one? If I miss the tail end of a show, then I suppose that I can
> futz around with the start early/end late settings for the recording
> rules, until I am satisfied.
>
> Sorry for being such a noob, but a lot of this is pure Greek to me.
>
> Yours Truly,
>
> -Confusious Maximus
Interesting, I guess the Avermedia A180 MCE's can do multiple streams:

Encoder 5 is local on tv and is recording 'Newschannel 8 at 5PM' on
KGW-HD. This recording is scheduled to end at 5:29 PM.
Encoder 6 is local on tv and is recording 'According to Jim' on KPDX-DT.
This recording is scheduled to end at 5:29 PM.
Encoder 7 is local on tv and is recording 'KATU News at 5' on KATU-DT.
This recording is scheduled to end at 5:29 PM.
Encoder 8 is local on tv and is recording 'KOIN Local 6 at 5' on
KOIN-HD. This recording is scheduled to end at 5:30 PM

It's funny though, each of the top three shows end at 5:30 according to
the mythweb, and EPG interfaces.

Is the 5:29 PM end time really coming from the information that is
transmitted in the actual show? Or, is it more likely that I have a
clock synchronization issue between systems?