[mythtv-users] Codecs for HDPVR

steve networks1 at cox.net
Sat Jan 16 17:24:11 UTC 2010

I finally got my HDPVR and am in the setup/testing process.  I ran cat
/dev/video0 > test.mp4 which lit up the HDPVR unit and generated a file.  So
far so good.

Now I'm trying to play the file on the GNOME movie player, which says I need
to install codecs.  I ran the search it offered and it wants to install

GStreamer streaming media framework "bad"

Gstreamer FFmpeg-based plug-ins

Is this the right thing to do from the point of view of the MythTV system
I'm going to use this for?  I suppose it could want a different codec
package.

I'm also leery about installing any package with "bad" in the title.  Is
there something wrong with it?  If not WTF was someone thinking when they
put that in the name?!?

Thanks,

Steve