[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] Reliability issue with PVR-350

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Sat Jan 16 20:36:03 UTC 2010

I was just in my MythTV installing extra storage HD's when I notice the heatsink on the MPEG IC had come off of my PVR-350 due to gravity. It was resting on my pcHDTV-3000

There's a high-temp adhesive used with what looks like aluminum mesh as part of the thermal conduit between IC and heat sink.

Weird.

My card is about 5 years old and normally doesn't get moved around a lot. This just warmed up and dropped off.

So I've replaced with some Loctite thermal epoxy I have on hand for my electronics projects.

I'm mentioning it here as I imagine there might be a bunch of PVR-350 owners with heatsinks floating around their chassis.

  -Ben