[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu theme better default graphics for unknown videos?

John Luber john at luberfamily.net
Sat Jan 16 22:40:16 UTC 2010

Robert McNamara wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 12:59 PM, John Luber <john at luberfamily.net> wrote:
>
>> Yan Seiner wrote:
>>
>>> I'm finally nearing the end of reconstructing my video fan art/cover art
>>> collection.  Turns out that tmdb doesn't have a lot of the movies I have,
>>> and also I have a good number of home movies in the collection.  In the
>>> mythbuntu theme, these show up as jarring, ugly, glaring large white
>>> question marks.
>>>
>>> Is there some way to insert a better graphic?  Maybe something a bit
>>> softer?
>>>
>>> --Yan
>>>

>> Yan,
>>
>> For my collection of home videos I use ffmpeg to pull out a frame of video
>> to use as coverart.  I use:
>>
>> ffmpeg -y -i INPUTFILENAME -vframes 1 -ss 00:00:10  -s 320x240 OUTPUT.png
>>
>> Change INPUTFILENAME and OUTPUT to suit your needs and then within the
>> metadata editor in mythvideo select the appropriate .png file.  You can also
>> play with the size - 320x240 - to suit your needs as well.  This should also
>> work for other videos unknown to TMDB but you may find that you have to seek
>> further into the video (ie; -ss 00:01:00 or such) to get a reasonable png
>> file.
>>
>> John
>>

> Or better still, do your part to improve TMDB by adding the artwork
> and where required, item details.  The only way it's going to get
> better than IMDB is if we all add things when we see holes.
>
> Besides, ideally you would put screenshots in the screenshot database
> field, not the coverart one.
>
> Robert

Just to emphasize... this is my recommendation to deal with home
videos.  I seriously doubt that TMDB, IMDB or any other DB is interested
in meta data for my family Christmas or my kid's birthday party videos.
Likewise, there's no coverart for these either.  This is a simple quick
and dirty to get a graphic on the screen in mythvideo for something that
otherwise will never have one.

FWIW, my experience with TMDB is that it has most everything that I am
looking for with the exception of MPAA ratings (or any other rating
board's ratings for that matter...)

John