[mythtv-users] Acer Revo 1600 success story

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 18:16:05 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Fred Squires <fsquires at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Yeah, I'm having similar issues with the HD playback. I finally got my HDHR
>>> at least playing live TV last night and I noticed it was choppy, presumably
>>> on the 1080i channels, because some were okay. I'm nearly certain I've seen
>>> posts say that AR1600 can easily play even 1080p content, that's why I got
>>> it instead of building a box based on a Zotac 330 dual core board. Getting
>>> it there has been a bit vague and varied based on some postings that I've
>>> found.
>>>
>>> Here's something I found in a newegg comment for the AR1600 of all places.
>>> Haven't tried it yet. Search the comments for mythTV here
>>> <http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16883103228>
>>>
>>> 1) You have to get a version of Myth (0.21 with fixes or the new 0.22) with
>>> the VDPAU driver built in (PackMan repo if you use OpenSUSE 11.2) 2) Buried
>>> in one of the sub-screens of TV playback settings, where you create the
>>> vdpau playback profile, is the deinterlacer setting. You must set this to
>>> Bob(2x,hw).
>>> I assume mythbuntu 9.10 satisfies #1, I'll have to look for #2, if you beat
>>> me to it let me know how it goes. What's your source for HD content?
>>>

>> I have mythbuntu 9.10, and use VDPAU Normal playback profile and it
>> works great playing content from HDHomeRun and HDPVR..
>>
>> The advanced profile will always stutter on this box.  I also notice
>> that if anything uses the processor, it will hiccup for a second.  I
>> have not tweaked any knobs and turned off services, etc yet..
>>
>> -Greg
>
> I also have the AR1600 upgraded to 2GB of memory.
> I followed the troubleshooting steps on the VDPAU page on the wiki and
> it works great.
> I also created a new playback profile with 3 options:
> <1280x720 VDPAU with Advanced 2x
>>1280x720 VDPAU with Temporal 2x
> = 1280x720 VDPAU with no deinterlacer

How does your's run with 2GB ram?  I was seeing mine go into swap, so
put the 1GB stick that came with it back in.  Now I never see it go
under 1.5GB though..  I guess I should have looked at it closer to see
what was eating it.

I am using it for a backend too currently though.  As soon as I make
sure the kinks are worked out, and the family is happy with it, I will
build a dedicated backend.  Convincing them they cannot have the exact
directv dvr interface they are used to has been the only hard part.  I
bet if I stick a magnet on top of the hard drives in the directv
boxes, they'll learn to use the menus pretty fast though :)

-Greg