[mythtv-users] HDPVR setup irsend error

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Jan 18 01:18:41 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 12:40 PM, steve <networks1 at cox.net> wrote:
>>Can you send me the full dmesg output after trying to load lirc_zilog
>>following a fresh boot?
>
> OK this is getting strange.  Before I did this I downloaded the firmware
> file and replaced the file in /lib/firmware, thinking that it might have
> gotten corrupted.  When I ran modprobe again, it worked and /dev/lirc0
> existed.
>
> The relevant lines in dmesg were:
>
> lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 248
> lirc_zilog: Zilog/Hauppauge IR driver initializing
> lirc_zilog: chip found with RX and TX
> i2c-adapter i2c-1: lirc_dev: driver lirc_zilog registered at minor = 0
> Zilog/Hauppauge i2c IR 1-0071: firmware: requesting haup-ir-blaster.bin
> lirc_zilog: Zilog/Hauppauge IR blaster firmware version 2.1.0 loaded
> lirc_zilog: initialization complete

Okay, yeah, that all looks sane.

> I tried to run the irsend command and got:
>
> [root at mythtv mythtv]# irsend SEND_ONCE blaster 0_74_KEY_POWER
> irsend: command failed: irsend SEND_ONCE blaster 0_74_KEY_POWER
> irsend: unknown remote “blaster”

This is lircd not finding a remote config with a name of 'blaster' in
your lircd.conf.

> So I tried a reboot.  /dev/lirc0 was gone (!)

That's to be expected, lirc_zilog doesn't auto-load.

> and when I ran modprobe
> lirc_zilog I got the same errors as I sent previously.

Eep! Seems that for some reason, your firmware image is getting corrupted.

> Per your request, here is the dmesg output after the just-mentioned attempt
> to run modprobe (the list wouldn’t let me send the whole dmesg output do I
> just included the lirc stuff; I sent the whole thing to your wilsonet addr
> if you need it):
>
> lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 248
> lirc_zilog: Zilog/Hauppauge IR driver initializing
> lirc_zilog: chip found with RX and TX
> i2c-adapter i2c-1: lirc_dev: driver lirc_zilog registered at minor = 0
> Zilog/Hauppauge i2c IR 1-0071: firmware: requesting haup-ir-blaster.bin
> lirc_zilog: i2c_master_send failed with -5
> BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 0000000000000028
> IP: [<ffffffffa0b1ff08>] lirc_unregister_driver+0x53/0x1e6 [lirc_dev]
> PGD 105862067 PUD 127102067 PMD 0
> Oops: 0000 [#1] SMP
> last sysfs file:
> /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.7/usb1/1-6/i2c-adapter/i2c-1/1-0071/firmware/1-0071/loading

Yeah, that ain't good. Try checksumming a freshly downloaded image and
what is in /lib/firmware/ when you see the above. Rather confusing,
not sure what's going on here...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com