[mythtv-users] Server Setup

Carl Friedberg frida.fried at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 06:08:41 UTC 2010

Rob,

> My xmas present was a HP DL580G2 4 gigs of ram,
> 2x36gb internal disk (scsi) (not 64x). Yes. a 4U server.

Sounds like a powerful machine.

I grabbed a very old IBM server, an x235. I am new to this game, so I
thought I would give it a shot with old hardware. This has 2x36gb
drives like yours.

Of course, right away I have added:
more memory (6 Gb)
a USB 2.0 card (there are only 2 on-board USB, 1.0)
an Addonics SATA 2-disk raid card, and 2 1.5TB SATA drives (for Myth)

I am about to begin my myth BE install. I am leaning towards CentOS,
as it is close to the older RedHat, which I used to know, and does not
change as often as Ubuntu.

My next step is to figure out the repository thing, and get Myth
installed. Stay tuned.

I have two video capture options:
a $20 ATI USB wonder card from Woot;
a very old Pinacle card.

I'll see if I can get either to work. SD is fine for now, as I do not
yet have an HD set.

And yes, get the thing out of your kitchen ASAP. Mine is in the
basement, and I can hear it easily on the first floor.

If needed, I can put in a second processor and more memory. I don't
expect to need either.

Carl