[mythtv-users] 0.22 Instability during playback of partially recorded HD TV

Dave Richardson mythtv at derdev.com
Mon Jan 18 13:25:26 UTC 2010

I use Internal Player on separate ION ITX FE.  It plays HD movies from
files off of Samba/SMB share just fine.  It also plays HD "Watch TV" from
separate BE and HDHR just fine.

Yesterday I noticed that playing an HD TV recording (NFL football) that
was not completely recorded (i.e. still recording while I started watching
it) exhibited all sorts of problems (no logs yet, sorry).

Basically two issues would happen:

1) If I used the +30seconds button to skip forward without a 1-2 second
pause between skips, the SPDIF audio would go away (my receiver would note
that the digital audio signal was zero), the screen display would get
choppy, and either the MythFrontend would crash or the problem would
resolve itself

2) When Fox broadcast switched from SD callsigns back to HD game, the
digital audio would break and I'd be watching in silence with no recovery
other than to restart watching the recording and having to skip forward -
which took me back to #1.

I'm sorry that I didn't bring error logs to this discussion.  I wanted to
see if this rings a bell for anyone before I get to that point.

My next test will be to let the finished recording play to see if it
breaks in a similar way.

Thanks. D.